Monday, July 23, 2012

To dream the impossible dream

There's a Filipino saying that when roughly translated says "it's ok to dream. After all, it's cheap." Philippines is full of poverty and life is hard. So many people dream of a better life. They dream of nicer clothes, of getting an education that they can't afford, to live in a house instead of a hut. They dream of things that, for all intents and purposes, will never be. Dream, they say, because dreams are nothing but wistful wishes that mean nothing. 


Yet, I find the opposite to be true. Dreaming is expensive. Well, I guess it's only expensive when you want to turn that dream into a reality. The emotion that goes into it is too much, sometimes. Working hard and not letting failures get you down is really hard. Sometimes, it is easier to not dream. It's easier to languish in despair, to wallow in the misery of broken dreams and crushed emotions. 


But to live a life without dreams is even more depressing. Hope, as illusory as it can be at times, is needed. Dreams remind us that we can turn the invisible to visible. Dreams remind us that the visible and the tangible are actually fake and untrue. It is the faint whisper from within that says "there is more if you want more." 


And then reality, my dear arch-enemy, comes along and tells me to flee dream's madness. It shouts of the delusions that I am under. Reality breaks in and confronts me with the harsh realization that my dreams are nothing but delusions. 


However, my dreams continue to enchant me. It asks me the ultimate question that I have to ask myself which is which: is it the fact that my dreams can be my reality, or that which I think is my current reality but a dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment