Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hammer Time

I can't believe it has been a year since I graduated. The thought came to me in full force last week as I went back to Hamilton to see my friends graduate. I'm so proud of them. I know how hard they worked and I know that this is the beginning of greater things in their lives. Graduation is so different from the spectator side. When I was graduating, I had to worry about not tripping as I walked up, how do I hand this hood thing, hope that I don't fall flat on my face, things like that. When you're watching, it's just so much more relaxed. I was on the balcony with Tara and we had an ongoing commentary during the service. That's definitely something I couldn't do if I was graduating. One by one, they went up the stage. These were people that I went to class with, studied with, commiserated with, and were the recipients of many Facebook status updates of me whining and complaining and how I'm checked in at the library... AGAIN. These were the people I shared life with. These were the people I doubted with, debated with, tried to figure out Greek verbs and conjugations with. I honestly was just so proud of each and everyone of them. Proud of their hard work. Proud of their achievement. Proud that somehow, some way, my life intersected with theirs, and I was better for it. I also got a chance to hang out with old friends. I stayed with my old roomies and so thankful for their hospitality. It was nice to be back. Who knew that Hamilton would feel like home to me? I'm thankful that I had the privilege of knowing all these amazing people and got to have my own little community. I also had the opportunity to talk with my professor. I asked him to be my Ph.D. thesis supervisor and he said yes! I'm sooooo happy about that! I need to meet a few more requirements (1 Greek course and a 40 page research paper) before I can apply but I will be applying for the Ph.D. program next year. Hopefully, I get in! I'm looking forward to seeing this dream come into fruition! My time back in the Hammer just reminded me yet again of one thing... how blessed I am to have had the opportunity to study and meet such great and awesome people in my life. and scene...

No comments:

Post a Comment