Sunday, April 22, 2012

On Community

This weekend was pretty much amazing! I went to the Promise Keepers event here in Ottawa and got a chance to hear some spectacular speakers and even got a chance to hang out with long-lost friends. One of the things that this event sparked within me is the question of community. It has been something that I have constantly thought about and wrestled with and I wanted to take this time to hash it out. I'm hoping that you, dear reader, can help me as I try to figure things out. 


Last year, I read an article by a Jewish author on New York Times. She wasn't a devout Jew who was living in Manhattan. She was writing about the Sabbath. In her piece, she mentioned something that resonated within me. She talked about how hard it was to keep the Sabbath in New York because everyone around her was not keeping it. It must be easier, she said, to keep the Sabbath if you had other people keeping it with you. A group. A community. I remember reading that and thinking "you are absolutely right! I wish I had a group of people who made living as a Christian easier. I wish I had a group of people who would support me and I can lean on in times of trouble." And then I had that sinking feeling that said "oh wait... I think that's supposed to be the church." In that moment, one word came to mind. It was a word that I often saw on the Internet but captured the very essence of my emotions. FAIL!


Whether it's the local church or big C church or however I wanted to spin it, I don't think I've ever felt loved by the church. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't say that individuals within the church have never loved me because they have. I have Christian friends who have thankfully helped me all along my journey. I even went to a Christian seminary and I would dare to even say that I have felt the support of certain classmates and faculty members. But this communal love that the Bible best exemplifies in Acts 2:42-47 has always been a dream of mine that seems to be unrealized. Christians, according to Jesus, should be known by their love for each other. I almost always felt unappreciated, unloved, and unwanted. 


I belong to a group on Twitter and I must say that I have felt more love within this virtual community than the love that I have felt in the church. I have seen these people time and time again rally together to help a wounded member. A couple of months ago, one of the member's father died and word quickly spread on how to help out as we sent flowers to his father's funeral. Or someone who currently lost a job and needed some financial help for the time being was aided by numerous PayPal donations. I know that various people have opinions on the "real"-ness of virtual communities. However, through this virtual community, I felt appreciated, engaged, loved and respected.


And thus, the battle that I am in. During the Promise Keepers event, one of the things they emphasized was the need for community. For men to help out other men. I am all for that. I've been blessed to have had the chance along the years to journey for some short, some longer periods of time in their Christian walk. I know how amazing it is to know that someone is by your side. My problem right now is that I am so disappointed, so disheartened by the lack of community that I have been feeling for awhile now and I find it so much easier to quit. I know that quitting is not the answer, but bitterness shouldn't be the next option too.


Have you ever felt this way? And if you have, what did you do to remedy the situation?


and scene...



4 comments:

  1. Hey Sid!
    I just wanted to 'see' how are you doing. I guess I'm part of your online community now. Although, I wish I was part of your Church community if I was living in Ottawa. I too feel the isolation - although I often wonder if it is my own doing by not reaching out to others enough. But in the end, I know it's because I keep on reaching out but once I stopppp.. I realize "Hey! No one is reaching out to me..." Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living with other Christian guys has been very helpful for me. And in that particular adventure I have found the words of the cartoon character to be true of me: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

    Still, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments.

    @Bonnie - I know how you feel because I feel the same way too. Sigh. Come on over to Ottawa! =)

    @Mathieu - that quote is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Community is also something that I have been studying, and many Christians, myself included, are looking for the type of community you described. As far as I have discerned, there are several factors that explain why we don't have it:

    -fear of what we need most
    -fear of rejection/being seen as dependent
    -"divide and conquer" strategy Satan uses
    -the idol of independence in Western culture
    -the fact that most Christians are broken, and dealing with family of origin issues (especially our age group) and a feeling that we cannot give others support we never have received ourselves.

    Answers?
    -discipleship will cure the last one, but where are the sign-up lists for that?? I'd be all over some older-woman mentorship time.
    -courage to acknowledge our unmet needs and to share with others
    -realization that community doesn't have to be so intense all the time, it can just mean hanging out; and vice versa.

    Unfortunately, we are all sitting around, feeling lonely by ourselves. We should at least sit around and do nothing together!

    ReplyDelete